Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Parting with a new treasure

Back in May when my sisters and I were discussing whether or not we should try to sell our "treasures" online, the subject of re-sizing rings came up. My sisters and I all have large hands so when we buy a ring, 99.9% of the time we have to pay for it to be re-sized. My oldest sister (She's always has been the bossy one. lol) decided that "I" should learn to do this since she knew I wanted to learn to be a silversmith anyway and because I have a more flexible work schedule. I just smiled and nodded and said sure, knowing full well that I couldn't afford the sterling silver supplies let alone all the tools needed, and the dream would fade away like so many others I couldn't afford to act on.

She casually asks how much it would cost for the basics. Without hesitation I tell her and go on to explain the need for each tool/supply while adding that it was way beyond my meager budget. A few moments of silence follows. Then she drops the bomb: She offers to finance the whole sha-bang as long as I promise that when I finally learn, she gets free ring sizings for life. She then points out how much she actually pays every month for sizings and that in only 4 months time she would break even on her "investment". Pride being what it is, I didn't want someone, even a sister, buying my supplies so I told her I would "think" about it.

Remember that I mentioned she's the bossy one? Well couple that with my other sister egging her on, it's like trying to stop a steam roller by placing a marble in it's path when she gets an idea in her head. Needless to say, I now have the basic supplies and I'm learning as fast as I can. :)

So that brings me to "parting with a new treasure". Last night I finished working on a crazy lace agate and sterling silver pendant. I was so overjoyed. This piece, while not grade A workmanship, was good enough to list for sale. I hurriedly took some photos (had to do extra editing on them because I didn't have the proper lighting) and listed it for sale in my Artfire studio and made sure I pointed out the flaws in the workmanship.

Seconds later, I called my 3rd sister and told her to go check out my new listing. I bask in the "Oh how cool!", the "Oh I really like how you did that!" and the "Good job! I'm so proud of you!". Just as I was getting warmed up in telling her the trials and tribulations of making the piece, I notice I have new e-mail in my business account.
Multi-tasker that I am, I check my mail and see that I have sold one of my Artfire items. Woo hoo! Then I see the buyer's name and the item... I was talking to her on the phone and she just purchased the pendant!!! My sister can apparently multi-task too. I scold her, tell her she shouldn't have, and explain that now she will get to see the flaws up close and personal. She says, "But I wanted it". I stop protesting. You just can't argue with a statement like that. Trying my best to leave the sarcasm out of my voice, I thank her "for her purchase". I am grateful for that sale. Really I am.

Today, with the pendant all packaged and ready to go to the P.O. I'm experiencing seller's remorse. Yes I was willing to sell the pendant. Yes I wanted to sell it... but I wasn't ready to part with it so quickly. lol At least I know it's going to someone who will treasure it, not so much because it's a great piece of jewelry but because they know how much it means to me. It's all I could have asked for and more.

As for learning to re-size rings... I'm almost there. :)

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to part with a piece you weren't ready to let do of... to a sister. She was right, it is a beautiful piece! How great that she financed your re-sizing tools... what a kind sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the compliment. :) And yes, I'm blessed with some great sisters. When push comes to shove, we know we can count on each other's support.

    ReplyDelete